Friday, May 14, 2010

A cake filled weekend


So this is the second wedding cake I have done.
A lovely friend of mine was without a wedding cake maker just 3 weeks out from her wedding date. So I put my hand up for my mother and I to make it for her and the groom to be.
She asked for a caramel mud cake and a chocolate mud cake, having done a lot of chocolate mud cakes before I didn't think this would be a problem and threw myself into a test run of baking the caramel mud cake for my family to try.
I put 2 recipes together to create what I thought would be the best caramel mud cake. Turns out my family love to be guinea pigs to my baking and this was one of the best mud cakes I had made.
To put the wedding cake together the bride asked for ribbon and pearls and pillars between the layers, with flowers to go on top.
It was a busy couple of days baking and with my mother and sister Kim in the kitchen it proved a test of patience and cooperation. But looking at the end result I couldn't of been happier. The bride and groom loved it too.




The next day was my little sister Jessie's sweet 16th birthday and I knew I wanted to make her a cake. I had plenty of bananas in the freezer and some icing left over from the wedding cake.
Early Saturday morning I began baking. Then created the coloured balls and dress from some ready to roll icing I had left over in my pantry. My sister Kim that had stayed over to help out with babysitting the children, loving iced the cake while we were at the wedding. I got home to find the cake with stand and coat hanger waiting for us, ready to go.
We added some glitter and took it to one very happy Jessie.
(p.s: you will have to excuse the picture was taken at tenpin bowling.)

Well my daughter has been begging me to make some banana cookies, so off to the kitchen...

1 comment: